Saturday, March 29, 2008

I spend my days under African skies....

Hola! We are in Lusaka today to do some grocery shopping before we go on our second site visit, which is where we get to go stay at our actual site for a few days with another volunteer thats already in the area. The highlight of this week was definitely finding out where our permanent sites and new homes will be. I will be in the Mawanda area of Petuake district in the Eastern Province of Zambia. My village is called Chitindi village and from what I've heard it sounds great. There is another volunteer in the same village who will be 5k from me. This is very rare for PCVs to be placed in the same village, so I'm pretty psyched that I will have someone so close. Apparently, this area really wanted an Education volunteer so hopefully they will be enthusiastic about working with me. There is a government school and clinic 5k away and there is a community school within 1k of me, so I am really excited. My water will come from a borehole(water pump) that is also less than a kil from my house so i feel lucky. This is one of the safest sources of drinking water, although I will probably still boil it then filter it. My site is about 35k from the nearest boma (town) which is Petauke. When I need to get there I will either hitch or I can bike it. Hitching is a really common form of transport for volunteers and its apparently very safe. It saves us from having to spend kwacha on transport. Two other education volunteers in my intake, Eric and Ryan, will also be in my district, as well as one LIFE volunteer (agro-forestry program), so that's pretty cool.

Everything is still going great and I'm not homesick yet. I would say one of the things I'm most grateful I brought is a pack of earplugs and the thing I miss most is a hair-dryer. Other than that I'm adjusting really well. Language is kind of tough because we are just learning so much in a short period. We had a second language exam on Friday and I think I did okay. We are having a big party tonight--an American-style BBQ, complete with roasted goat, sports, and music.

I'm really loving the family I'm with and I admire each of them so much. Life, especially for women in Zambia, is pretty hard. Even the children seem so much more involved in their own care and the care of others, its amazing. My grandma wrote me an email asking if I help take care of the children and the answer is NO! THEY help take care of me, the "muzungo," who can't cook for herself, or do her own laundry. I'm talking, an 11 year old, basically did half my laundry this week, as I looked on and attempted to be helpful. She then instructed me on washing dishes and fetching water. It was humbling. 6-year-old kids tote babies on their back as they help around the house. They do all this, with smiling happy faces and a peaceful nature. All the kids (about 10) on my compound are great.

I'm so upset because I accidentally deleted all the pics I have taken when I was trying to change the settings!! So no pics today, but hopefully when I come back from my site next week I'll be able to post some of where I'll be living for the next TWO YEARS! Ugh, it makes me sick to think about but Dad mentioned they may be recover-able, so we'll see.

If you read this blog, leave me a comment and ask any questions you have or just give me a shout so I know you still remember who I am. Sometimes when I sit down at a computer I have trouble thinking about what details people might want to know.
Zambia is awesome, Peace Corps is awesome. Sometimes I don't believe I'm actually here and that I'm perfectly content living in a developing country. I hope this honeymoon period never ends...haha. I have to go buy food now, so I can eat over the next while I'm camping at my site. Stay in touch! Miss you guys!!
Love,
Cait

5 comments:

Tricia said...

Hi Cait-- It's so exciting getting on your blog and seeing a new posting!! I'm so happy abt your assignment...it looks like you're on the border of Mozambique. Is that a relatively peaceful country. I hope so? I love reading abt the children in your fam and would love to hear more about the people and the PCVs you're with. Don't worry abt the pics just take lots more. I can't wait to see pictures. I'm so glad you'll be close to other
volunteers. Any package yet? I have another one read to send but Dad wants to wait to see if you get
the first one.
Still wearing that sunscreen??
Luv u----Mom

Charlye Ramsey said...

Muli bwanji? Ndili bwino! Mudzakhala ku Eastern Province?!?!?! Ndinakhala ku Eastern Province ku Chadiza. I am so glad to hear that you will be in Eastern...I told you it was the BEST province! You will love it there and its the best PCV house..great shower! Have fun on 2nd site visit. What homestay family are you staying with? Passa moni, give greetings to the Kanyumba family and please tell them to be expecting a package from me. I look forward to your blogs...keep them coming! Petani bwino, Charlye

Unknown said...

Dear favorite human daughter,
Great blog entry. Keep them coming whenever possible. I guess you don't know whether you will have cell phone svc in your village. Callie says woof (hello in JR). Keep well and stay positive -- all things will pass. good and bad.
Love DAd

Enny said...

Caitlin! We could never forget you. Ever. I'm happy to hear things are still going well. I sent you some letters with stickers on them so you have to let me know if that's working. If not, I'll have to come up with a better strategy. I love how you say "5k" and "35k". I have no idea if that's close or far. Anyways, can't wait till you take some pictures of your permanent home. Miss you!

lori said...

Caitin! I love reading your blogs. I also look forward to your new pictures that you will take. I am so impressed with how you are adapting and I loved reading how the children showed you how to do laundry. That cracked me up.... and makes me so grateful for frivilous things like indoor plumbing and heated water. Will you have to make your own fire for boiling water? What does the man that is married to Caroline do for a living? Are you able to just pick fruit off the trees anywhere when you would like to eat one? Are you able to buy bread there, or
do you get this from your host family after they bake it? Is there some special item we need to send? (I doubt bread would be a good one to send lol)
Your Mom & Dad are always so happy after they hear from you ~ so keep the blogs coming. I saw your Dad running the other day in the distance I also saw a little white dot running behind. (Quite a fun site) I am sure he is working to build up the strength to keep up with you! Wear your sunscreen like your Momma says & bug repellant. Do they bother you much? yes, another question! lol