Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Chitindi village--Here I come!

Thanks for the messages everyone! Right now i am in petauke boma, which is the nearest town to where i will live the next two years. i was at at my site yesterday and the day before and it is beautiful! I was greeted by a group of villagers who SOO excited for me to arrive. It was awesome! My temporary hut is also amazing, but they will soon be building me a bigger, better house, which is hard to imagine. I have the cutest little fenced in yard with a pretty tree and cooking shelter in front. The family on the compound seems really nice, but they don't speak much English. The predominant language of the area is Chinsenga, a dialect of Chinyanja, the language i've been studying for the last month. Its going to be difficult to learn two different languages, but I don't think I'll have any trouble finding someone to tutor me in the village. I have to go now, but I will hopefully get back online on Saturday, and tell more fabulous details.

7 comments:

Renata said...

Caitlin, you're my hero!!! I want to see pictures of your house and village and new village friends!

Tricia said...

Hi Caitlin-- It was so exciting to see your blog today!! Your village sounds wonderful. Please send pictures of your new friends, village,everything.
Nothing much new here. Love u- Mom

kim said...

Caitlin - I am so proud of you and amazed!! You seem to be loving everything and I am envious of your passion and fearlessness. Keep doing what you're doing and I can't wait for pics. Please know that we all can't wait to see and hear what you're doing. You are missed and loved. Kim

zadams said...

hiya. i am glad everything is going well. i'll call soon.

NiNi said...

Hi Cait- I feel like a sponge reading your blog - I'm soaking it in and loving it. How do you get "news" about world events, sports, politics, etc. What is the weather like there? Do you see any unusual animals or insects. What "jobs" do the people have: farmers?, fixers?, teachers?, healers?, do the children go to school? Until what age? Remember my words to you before you left - You are so loved! I'm proud of you.

Enny said...

Sounds fantastic there! I'm glad you got my letter. You have more on the way. If that was the first one I sent it means it is taking about a month for them to get to you. At this rate you should know who won the Bachelor right around the time they break up ha ha.

SarahG said...

Caitlin,
I seem to be a bit slow with technology so this is my first visit to your site. I have so enjoyed your adventure. I look forward to hearing of your new permanent location and job. Don't feel bad about the amt of time spent surviving--sounds like the day of a mom!!
SarahG