Sunday, April 27, 2008

PCV: its official.

Well, Friday we had swearing in and I am officially a Peace Corps volunteer. It was very exciting, though my day was a bit subdued because of lingering illness. As of today, I feel almost 100% recovered from my medical nightmare. At swear-in, the Ambassador to Zambia as well as a bunch of other people.

Thursday and Friday night we stayed at a lodge in Lusaka and I only mention it because of the incredible shower that I had. Scalding hot, good pressure and adequately positioned above my head. You may not realize that this was my first real shower in Zambia. And I was beyond thrilled. It was the perfect ending to my day from hell on Thursday, when I had my rash breakout. After two months of a bucket bath, I really can't express how awesome it was to take a real, hot shower.

On Saturday morning, we shipped out to Chipata, the Provincial capital of Eastern Province. Peace Corps has a house in every province for volunteers to use and come and decompress. So we are here for several days while we do necessary shopping, etc. before we get posted in our villages. The house is pretty cool. It has electricity and running water--both of which go out about once a day. We have met some of the other volunteers in the province. The house is honestly about 20% frat house if you know what I mean. A bit dirty, disorganized and chaotic. What did you expect though, it has 30+ peace corps vols using it and we're all dirty hippies, right? JUST KIDDING. stop judging.

okay....well thats about it for now, I might be inspired later in the week.

1 comment:

Enny said...

You're funny. I definitely won't judge your dirty, hippie ways especially since I'm pretty sure you took more showers than I did when we lived together. I'm glad you're feeling better. I'll appreciate my next shower a little bit more now.