Thursday, April 24, 2008

Trials and Tribs of sick in Africa

So, you may or may not have heard that earlier this week I contracted Malaria. Thats right, the number one killer in Zambia and possibly all of Africa. But don't be alarmed I have good medical care and drugs. I will start at the beginning....

On Sunday night I woke in chills and rigors followed by sweats. The following day, I was quite achy and had a headache. Lisa said, "That sounds like Malaria." The thought crossed my mind but I hadn't seriously considered it. I gradually started to feel worse and called the PCMO for a consult. She told me to go take a quick test at the training office, which I did, and it was negative. However, because of the prophylaxis we take once a week to prevent malaria, tests often come up negative. So because I had such distinctive symptoms I was instructed to start treatment anyway. The treatment lasts three days and is just 4 pills twice a day. By the time I got back to my hut I could barely take the meds I was feeling so bad. For the next two days I basically slept and writhed around in pain in my hot little hut. I really have never felt so bad in my life.

Fast foward to day 4 post-malaria: I should be feeling much better, but the last two days I've had a persisent, immobilizing headache/migraine. I woke with a rash on my arms and chest. Luckily we were coming into the Peace Corps office and I got to see a Med officer face to face. She nearly immediately assessed that I now have tick-borne encephalitis. (Google that if you want). All this the day I move out of my homestay. It was sad to leave my Zam Fam but I really couldn't soak it in because I'm sick. Tomorrow is our big Swear-In ceremony and I also won't be ale to fully appreciate this, which sucks. Gilly (PCMO) says I will feel much better by Saturday. Just wanted to give an update, but I have to go now...

Love you guys and miss you!

CJ

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Ah! Caitlin! This sounds horrible! I hope you keep getting better!

At least now you can be one of those jaded PCVs who's like "oh, yeah I had malaria once. it was no big deal. americans are such wimps."