Thursday, September 25, 2008

How a sticker relates to development theory:)

I had a kid steal a sticker from me the other day. After washing my pots, I let them choose a sticker and then they like to look at the rest. They never take more than one sticker. However, the other day when they left I noticed many more stickers gone than pots scrubbed. I’ll be honest, I felt betrayed. I thought these kids were cool; I thought they were my friends. Its just a sticker, but its also the principle behind it. Really more than one principle, even. Stealing is bad, they shouldn’t steal from me or anyone. However, it also brings up the issue of volunteers being seen as “donors.” Because so many NGOs, Aid agencies, missionaries frequently address development by giving both things and money away, a relationship of dependence often develops among those in developing nations. An organization (typically white people) comes in and dumps a bunch of food or stuff on a community for a number or years and then when the organization pulls out and moves on, the people are left not knowing how to satisfy their needs. When PCV CJ moves in they see another white person and just more money. Every new group that I work with has to be sensitized to the idea that I’m not here to give them money or even stickers. Peace Corps philosophy is about capacity-building, developing people not things, and teaching people to meet their own needs. Many people ask me if I know donors who can help them. While I know of some grants to apply for, this is not the point of me being here and I hesitate to associate with a project that will perpetuate the idea of “white person as donor.” This is also why when people at home ask me how they can help or what they send me that my villagers need or would like, I am hesitant. What they need can’t be sent in a box from America. To be fair, many development organizations are moving away from the donation paradigm but it continues to persist and is frustrating for those of us trying to offer a different approach. So while I feel like an old curmudgeon complaining about a sticker thief, there is more to it than the loss of a dime-sized piece of entertainment.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Caitlin! I just read through a bunch of your blog posts and am so amazed by you! Reading about your experiences reminded me that the joys and fears of life somehow cut deeper when you're outside your comfort zone. I said a prayer for you and I know that God is taking care you. I hope you're having fun too. :)