Thursday, September 25, 2008

tsitsi lali fupi (short hair)

So the hair is gone. Why would she be so crazy, you might be asking yourself.
1. I’m in Africa. Less than 10 degrees south of the Equator. Its HOT.
2.Its really hard to keep your hair clean, no matter the season, when you wash it upside down in a bucket.
3. I would never have the nerve to do this in America, and a lot of Zambian women have hair this short so I blend in a bit more.
4. As a result of living in a foreign environment, my hair is falling out. Not in chunks but just enough to be annoying. The medical officer told me this is one of the most common complaints of PCVs worldwide, due to the stress of living weirdly.
5. To let go of a natural vanity most women have regarding their hair (I haven’t shaved my legs in 7 months either! Imagine!?)
6. Its just hair, it will grow back.
7. I think secretly, I was always jealous that my brother could do this as a kid and be so cool in the summer. I’ve always wondered what it would be like.

I can’t stop rubbing my head.
The wind-in-my-hair thing has a whole new meaning now.

My mom said, “It looks weird, it will look better when it grows out.”
My friend said, “Man, I wish we had a basketball court here.” (In reference to the very round orangeness in front of him)
The housekeeper here in Chipata said I look like a boy.

I’m really enjoying it so far.

No comments: